A custom content platform for Africa.
Primedia Online approached us with a pitch to explore a relevant online portal and brand for the African internet user. Our solution for this was the creation of an Africanised brand identity, a fresh and relevant website design and a custom CMS for local content creators.
Creating an African news brand
The brand needed to communicate to a young, African market and so we began to unpack the anatomy of the identity, exploring key building blocks.
- Modern African
- Professional but approachable
- Friendly and intelligent
- Connected and grounded
- Mobile First: “users are always online” and want an “accessible experience”
- Responsive: “rising middle class have access to multiple devices
- Good stuff: “curated quality content”
- Content: “news and lifestyle verticals”
- Brief: “what you need in the time you have”
- Control: users have control over what we serve them
Inspired by traditional African design patterns we decided to use bold, sharp and thick typographical treatments, triangular shapes and bright colours. The content of the website would be a mix of African and International news and so we decided to use heavy contrast in colour to reinforce this objective.
With such a large range of content envisioned for the website, we wanted the user to be able to tailor their experience, ensuring that they only see the content they’re interested in – whether it be news, sport or Kim Kardashian’s new hair cut. By signing up, a user could choose any number of categories and sub-categories that interested them, allowing for a very customised experience.